Man injured at construction site

Construction workers in New York are exposed to numerous hazards and dangers every day. While many accidents can be prevented through proper training and safety protocols, sometimes accidents are inevitable. One of the most common types of accidents on construction sites is trip and fall accidents. If you are a construction worker in New York and you trip and fall on a construction site, here’s what you should do.

  1. Seek Medical Attention

The first thing you should do if you trip and fall on a construction site is to seek medical attention immediately. Even if you think you are not seriously injured, it’s important to get checked out by a medical professional. Some injuries, such as internal bleeding or head injuries, may not be immediately apparent but can be life-threatening if left untreated.

  1. Report the Accident to Your Supervisor

After seeking medical attention, you should report the accident to your supervisor. They will likely fill out an accident report that documents the details of the accident. This report is essential if you need to file a workers’ compensation claim.

  1. Document the Accident

It’s also important to document the accident yourself. Take pictures of the scene of the accident and any injuries you sustained. You may also want to write down the names and contact information of any witnesses who saw the accident happen.

  1. File a Workers’ Compensation Claim

If you are injured on a construction site in New York, you are likely entitled to workers’ compensation benefits. Workers’ compensation can help cover your medical expenses, lost wages, and other expenses related to your injury. To file a claim, you will need to complete the appropriate paperwork and submit it to your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance provider.

  1. Contact a Personal Injury Attorney

If your injury is severe, you may need to consider filing a personal injury lawsuit against the responsible party. This could be the owner, general contractor, a subcontractor, or another party that contributed to your accident. A personal injury attorney can help you understand your legal options and fight for the compensation you deserve.

In conclusion, if you are a construction worker in New York City and you trip and fall on a construction site, it’s important to seek medical attention, report the accident to your supervisor, document the accident, file a workers’ compensation claim, and contact a personal injury attorney if necessary. By taking these steps, you can ensure that you get the medical care and compensation you need to recover from your injuries and get back to work. 

If you have been injured on a construction site and have questions about your legal options, it is important to speak with an experienced attorney. James J. Corbett has helped many construction workers to recover the compensation they deserve after being injured on the job. Not only is James J. Corbett an experienced attorney, he also has worked in the construction industry as a project manager and general counsel.  He understands the complex laws and regulations that apply to construction accidents, and he is committed to fighting for the rights of injured workers. Contact The Law Office of James J. Corbett, PC today to schedule a free consultation and learn more about how he can help you.